Occupation: consort, Charles, Prince of Wales; charity worker; celebrity
Dates: July 1, 1961 - August 31, 1997
Also known as: The "People's Princess," Lady Diana Frances Spencer, Lady Diana, Lady Di
Proper title is Diana, Princess of Wales, rather than Princess Diana, though the latter is how so much of the world knows her.
- Diana Spencer was a direct descendant of King Charles II
- Father: (Edward) John Spencer, Viscount Althorpe, later Earl Spencer. He was a personal aide to King George VI and to Queen Elizabeth II, and was a godson of Queen Mary
- Mother: the Hon. Frances Shand-Kydd, formerly the Hon. Frances Ruth Burke Roche
- Parents divorced in 1969. Mother ran away with a wealthy heir, and father gained custody of the children. Father later married Raine Legge, whose mother was Barbara Cartland, a romance novelist.
- Diana was the third of four children. Her siblings:
- Lady Sarah, married Neil McCorquodale; before she married, Sarah and Prince Charles dated
- Lady Jane, married Robert Fellowes, assistant secretary to Queen Elizabeth II
- Charles Spencer, Earl Spencer: godson of Queen Elizabeth II
Education:spotty, undistinguished educational career
- educated at home to age 9
- Riddlesworth Hall (age 9-12)
- West Heath School (Kent) (age 12-16); dropped out
- finishing school in Switzerland, Chateau d'Oex; left after a few months
- husband: Charles, Prince of Wales (married July 29, 1981; divorced August 28, 1996; heir-apparent to the throne of Great Britain)
- William Arthur Philip Louis, Prince William, born June 21, 1982
- Henry Charles Albert David, Prince Harry, born September 15, 1984
Born Diana Spencer on July 1, 1961, Princess Diana became Lady Diana Spencer after her father inherited the title of Earl Spencer in 1975. She married heir to the British throne, Prince Charles, on July 29, 1981. They had two sons and later divorced in 1996. Diana died in a car crash after trying to escape the paparazzi in Paris on the night of August 30, 1997.
source of information: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/diana/p/princess_diana.htm http://www.biography.com/people/princess-diana-9273782#synopsis